Started Mar 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
My "new" Olympus 4:3 camera ....
Mar 21, 2012

So .... before going full steam ahead and selling all my Canon gear to fund a complete E-5 kit, I decided to be stingy and cautious and purchase a refurb from the Olympus web site. The camera I purchased is a little jewel of a thing called the E-420 (which I'm sure most of you are familiar with).

The camera came with a 14-42 and arrived today. Cost me all of $299 including tax and shipping. I didn't expect much. I kept a level head and remembered the disappointing results I'd gotten from an E-620 I tried as well the time spent with an E-P2, which I kinda liked IQ-wise ... but I didn't feel comfortable handling it and using it as a day-to-day cam. The electronic VF, though excellent as EVFs go, was a pain to look through, ergonomically speaking.

Five minutes ago I viewed my first E-420 pics taken with the kit lens. Spent the afternoon shooting. I am blown away. The detail-killing AA filter of the E-620 is gone, and the awkward handling of the E-P2 has been replaced with the feel of a real DSLR and even a film SLR. There's something about its diminutive size that gives it a "real camera" quality. Weird.

But it's the pictures. Excellent. Simply excellent. I shot RAW with LF JPEG. The JPEGs are exceptional. Great color. They look like pics I might have processed myself from the RAW files. This is the first camera in years that I wouldn't hesitate shooting JPEG-only with. The first was my Canon 10D. Really good JPEGs with that camera.

I'll post pics from the E-420 when I get a chance. I'm so happy. And if this is what an E-420 can do, what's in store for me when I shoot with an E-5? Holy Hannah! .....

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
http://www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +3 more
Canon EOS 10D Olympus E-420 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow