Started Mar 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
missingendpoint
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
I broke my FDA-EV1S
Mar 19, 2012

OK, my fault, but it sure seems like it could have been designed to be a tad less fragile...

Anyway, what happened is that I got bumped in a crowd with the finder mounted on my 5N -- bumped at just the wrong place -- the top edge of the rubber eye-cup with the camera against my chest, lens pointing down. I really didn't think anything of it at the time.

A day or so later, I noticed that the eye-cup seemed loose at the top edge.

I loosened the two screws on the bottom of the eye-cup, removed it from the viewfinder, and here's what I found:

The little tiny silver stirrup I had found loose inside had been part of the upper half shell of the viewfinder. The top edge of the eye-cup has a small hook that engages with it -- creating the only attachment point between the eye-cup and the viewfinder apart from the screws on the bottom. The bump I had received had snapped the stirrup clean off.

Now I know that some folks have said the FDA-EV1S shell is metal -- but the broken edges -- the two grey [previous] attachment points on the upper shell -- look like plastic. Whatever it is, it sure didn't seem to take much to break it.

In case this happens to you, I have found what I think is the part number for the upper shell -- Sony 4-295-843-01 CABINET (UPPER) VF -- with a US price of about $70 -- but I can't find anyone with stock, nor do I know how difficult it may be to replace.

I may try to re-attach the stirrup at some point -- but it is very, very small scale work, and I kind of doubt anything I could do would result in a usable repair.

Sigh...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow