Started Mar 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Colin Franks
Contributing MemberPosts: 736Gear list
Like?
Don't let this happen to you
Mar 19, 2012

I recently went on a holiday for a week, and went out every day with my camera. I took about 600 images with my Panasonic G3.

On my last day, I was taking some pictures, and you know that little square thingy that appears in centre of the viewfinder when you push the shutter half-way down - the icon that shows what you're focusing on......well on my camera, you can drag that focal point anywhere on the LCD screen with your finger. Well I noticed that it was in the bottom left corner, and my heart suddenly sank, wondering how long it had been there, rendering possibly all of my photos from the last few days out of focus. And you can't tell on the preview screen as it's too small to determine clarity.

So I instantly went back into stress mode and had a sleepless night wondering if all my images of the past week were throw-aways. Felt like throwing the camera into a concrete wall.

I have no idea how it got moved, but damn - the camera should give you a warning if the focal point has been been moved.

I'm home now, and when I went through the images on the computer, I could see the moment that it got changed, by an image that was out of focus when it definately shouldn't have been. This was about half-way through the week. A few after that were throw-aways, but most are ok, but some are less than perfect due to a slightly different focal plane on some. Grrrrr.

Lesson learned. That won't happen to me again!

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +15 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow