Pancakes and camera size

Started Mar 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
mpetersson
Regular MemberPosts: 331Gear list
Like?
Re: Pancakes and camera size
In reply to desmojack, Mar 19, 2012

If size is absolutely critical to you, you might want to go with m4/3. I had a Panasonic before getting the NEX-7, and while camera size is roughly the same, they do have a few good pancakes for m4/3, while the NEX-system has one pancake which many people are dissatisfied with (I think it's ok), and like you say it's also very wide. Sony are promising more primes, but who knows if and when they arrive. I use a few small rangefinder-lenses with my NEX, but I can't say that the package is very pocketable even with small lenses and adaptors. Not nearly as pocketable as my NEX is with the 16mm pancake.

Other than that I really enjoy the NEX. Many of the legacy lenses I used with my Panasonics are great on the NEX. Field of view is better (closer to the intended), dynamic range is better, the camera is fast with basically no shutter-lag and the ability to crop the 24mpix images from the NEX-7 is amazing. So IQ and handling-wise I haven't looked back, even though I would love to have a lens like the Panasonic 20mm f1,7 pancake on the NEX.

If you are used to a 5-6 year-old compact it will be a huge step forward in IQ for you, no matter what brand or system you choose.

mpetersson's gear list:mpetersson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow