KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,353Gear list
Like?
Re: Poll: which FX - results
In reply to bobn2, Mar 19, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

perhort wrote:

Everyone agrees that Bob has toyed with some numbers to see if something interesting may come from it. But once you've done that, I think you have to stick with it a bit. And according to Bob's numbers, introducing a mini-D4 in any form will increase Nikon's profits.

Could increase profits slightly . There is big fricking difference between will and could , will implies some degree of certainty which given the way Bob has plucked profit margins out of thin air is very much lacking.

Exactly. All this is hand waving. The real lesson to draw from it is that another model doesn't necessarily produce worthwhile profit or revenue. If I was running Nikon and given real margins and market surveys the return on either a D800H or D600 looked as small as in this exercise, I wouldn't go ahead with it, I'd put the effort into something else. This only shows part of their overall picture too, for instance the projected D600 could well hit sales of the D300 replacement (unless it was the D300 replacement)
--
Bob

Perhort must be including not only D800H but D600 in his definition of "mini-D4".

Since there are rumours of a new 24mp Sony FX sensor, maybe that is what will come in a D600. And it will have to be made in Thailand and share the D7000/7100 ecosystem meter and AF modules. But Nikon has priced the D800 so surprisingly low, a $2400 price on a D600 might be too close.

Interesting exercise Bob - I was surprised at how few responses actually selected the D800H given all the complaints when the D800 was first announced. If those were the numbers and I was Nikon, likewise I wouldn't introduce the D800H.

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow