5D Mark III to replace 7D or 5D Mark II and keep the 7D?

Started Mar 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mr Mason
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
5D Mark III to replace 7D or 5D Mark II and keep the 7D?
Mar 19, 2012

I until a couple of weeks ago I was set on getting new or 2nd-hand 5D Mark II to complement my 7D which I use for everything at the moment. I particularly enjoy the extra perceived reach with the crop for surf photography (from the beach/rocks) when used with the 100-400L. I was considering the 5D Mark II to use more for my rapidly growing family and friends library of shots and as a backup for wide-angle when down the beach.

But I had a thought the 5D Mark III with it's increased pixels, and presumably greater ability to resolve them, that although I'd lose the 1.6 reach factor of the crop, would I stand to gain a 1.24x resolution factor with Mark III

(18MP vs. 22.3MP), cancelling out some of the loss of reach? With the better ability to resolve the detail, in theory, the telephoto shots should be pretty much on par - or am I wrong? I'm not a pro and don't make money from my shots (would like to!) but am a keen enthusiast with an anal retentiveness for detail.

I'm figuring that all I'd lose by ditching the 7D to part fund the 5D Mark III would be that minor loss of reach, a pop-up flash which I rarely use and just over 1 frame per second (a Canon rep told me last week that the 5D Mark III gets 6.7 FPS with the BG-E11 grip!).

Although the 15-85 EF-S is an EXCELLENT lens, I have a good selection FF lenses (24-70L, 100-400L, 50 f1.4, about to buy 2nd hand 16-35L II), so again, I have the range of my 7D gear covered. PLus I had a go with the Mark II the other day and it feels just like the 7D, so at least I'm used to it!

Is it s a valid upgrade / replacement or are two bodies better than one? Opinion...

Thanks!

Mr Mason's gear list:Mr Mason's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow