Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mauthbaux
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Concert Video with the Lensbaby Tilt Transformer
Mar 18, 2012

http://youtu.be/SlC4TViAP_I (warning: some offensive language)

I shot this video at a show for a local metal band. Since it is a metal show, Lighting and sound capture are rather difficult. I tried to shoot a show a while back -same band and venue- with the kit lens and onboard mics. The audio was unusable, and the video was dark and grainy. I've upgraded my kit a bit since then, and now have a Zoom H1 for audio, and some faster lenses.

I decided to use the Lensbaby for this shoot because the aperture disc can be removed entirely, making it a very fast lens. (I'm not sure how fast exactly; the widest aperture disc is a 1.8, so without the disc it's wider than that. My computar 12.5-75 f1.2 is probably faster, but the limited sensor coverage and awkward handling made it a no-go for a hectic concert setting.) Without the disc, the Lensbaby's "sweet spot" is quite small, and the lens is very prone to excessive flaring, but image accuracy really isn't what I was going for here. I was a little worried about trying to manually focus while recording, but decided to try it out anyway. Thankfully, the crowd was still standing rather than moshing at that point; I'm rather pleased with how it turned out, but the look won't please everyone.

Camera: Sony NEX-3
Lens: Lensbaby Tilt Transformer (double glass optic, no aperture disc)
Audio: Zoom H1
Post processing in Sony Vegas 10

I was hoping for some suggestions or advice on these kinds of shoots. I'm quite obviously a rank amateur, but I am interested in improving. Are there obvious defects that I've overlooked? Is there anything that I need to do differently with my post processing? I'm obviously somewhat limited by the constraints of the venue and the crowd, but working within those constraints is part of what makes it fun - building a taj mahal from toothpicks if you will... Thanks for watching, and thanks in advance for any advice you may offer.

mauthbaux's gear list:mauthbaux's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +14 more
Sony Alpha NEX-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow