SLT's and action photography

Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
stevemark
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?
Re: SLT's and action photography
In reply to Fulton17, Mar 18, 2012

I was compring the A77 directly with the A700 and the A900 for two weeks. The A77 had considerably MORE difficulities when shooting fast action with long tele lenses (> 200mm). The "slideshow effect" was particularly annoying when shooting at an air show - after 3-5 images I ALWAYS lost the subject (airplane passomg by, 400mm focal length) ... or it was at least partially out of frame.

Shooting fast series with the A77 is quite easy to learn when using normal or wide angle lenses: One simply follows the subject without having exact control in the EVF - but exact viewfinder control is not really necessary in such cases.

Even more annoying is the fact that the A77 doesn't have the 5fps mode any more. 3fps clearly is too slow in many situations, but 8fps is "overkill", especially at 24MP. And the buffer of the A77 is much to small ... even in the "JPG only" mode the A77 doesn't shoot for more than 2 sec at 8fps. That's simply not enough in many sport situations. The A700 was much more practical: At 5fps (JPG only mode) i can make series of 40-45 sec.

I gave back the A77 after the test, and i sold most of my Sony/Minolta gear... just kept the A900 and a few excellent Minolta/Zeiss primes for landscape work.

Stephan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow