ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Waltz41
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Thinking of selling A77....Those who went Canon 7d/Nikon d7000, a question
Mar 18, 2012

I apologize this is so long!

Please note, this is not a Sony A77 EVF etc bash. I'm not looking to start any wars, what I am hoping to get is some helpful comments on those with a Canon 7d, or Nikon D7000 who maybe have even came from sony (or vice versa). Ok... a little background first...

So I've had the A77 since about late November, however, I have only had it out to shoot a handful of times. Reason being, I mainly shoot military aircraft, at airshows, and a bombing/gun range (used to have a USN base 5 min but it was closed a year ago). I just did a few backyard shots here and there just to play with the A77, but I recently got a chance to go out and shoot at the range. I took the A77, and a newly purchased 70-400G (which I will be most likely returning within the week). I used to use an A700 and bigma (which I still own).

Overall, I want to first say that I do really like the A77. I think the EVF is a pretty cool technology which really makes it easier to take pictures. So this is not an EVF hater here. Also I love some of the features, like having the very good video w/ AF and being able to use the EVF with it, panorama, etc.

All that being said, I ran into something that really might be a deal breaker for me. The biggest problem I had, was the slideshow effect in shooting with bursts. Having a jet 'buzz' the tower, moving right to left at around 200 mph, I could stay on the jet for the beginning but then after a few shots I started over compensating and moving the camera a little bit more than I needed to and totally missed. (I have been shooting fast moving jets and aircraft for about 5 years now, so I would like to think I'm pretty good at my panning technique too)

The only other negative I had was once I had on eye protection (the aircraft were using lasers on their targets) and I went to take a photo and the EVF did not start....it was like it was not picking up my eye to the camera, which I'm pretty sure was because of the glasses (they have a yellow tint to them?). That being said, I missed basically two great oppurtunites for some close up photos as the jets screamed past.

This really made me think long and hard about my gear. And as much as I want to stay with Sony, because I'm comforatble with it and I do like a lot of their features, I'm really thinking of just selling it all to get for example a Canon 7d and a 100-400mm L lens. The thing is I only own right now, an A77, A700, Bigma and 18-250mm. And the only thing I want is a 'sports' action camera with decent reach.

So assuming I can sell off the little I have, am I making sense, getting one body and one lens (7d and 100-400, or d7000 and 80-400 or bigma, etc), and learning that system specifically for what I shoot? How did it work for you? Thank you for reading.

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow