OM-D E-M5 : the new hi-ISO king in APC & 4/3 territory?

Started Mar 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
jonny1976
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,006Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D E-M5 : the new hi-ISO king in APC & 4/3 territory?
In reply to stefano888, Mar 18, 2012

dxo marks

a i use pentad k5 and is dynamic range is out of the world. believe you can do thing that before you did with split filter or extreme HDR. the best part is that the noise is so neglect able at iso 80 that evn pushing shadow 100% yo just see a very little level of noise

i have also a ep1 and i just can't use it., the iq is so worst than k5.

the mod , considering i have a novoflex adapter that move aperture , seems to have a great iq, but dr is still a behind in dr and pushing shadow, but the gap is pretty low now.

stefano888 wrote:

foto2021 wrote:

exp1orer wrote:

maybe or maybe not....but WOW! never in my wildest dream that Olympus would be able to achieve this. it puts Sony SLT A77 to shame...equals Canon 60D in many ways. but the most revealing part is.....it probably has the best IQ in APC and m4/3 territory specially in color retention and details in high ISO.

I'm already tied to Pentax K5 but I'm looking forward to own a rugged and compact m4/3 Olympus body with this sensor in the future to compliment my DSLR.

Let's not jump to too many conclusions too quickly. These OM-D EM-5 results do look very promising but the unknown is whether its 16 MP Panasonic LiveMOS sensor can deliver a dynamic range to match that of the Sony 16 MP sensors in the Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000 (but not the Sony SLTs).

The Live MOS sensors in the Panasonic G3, GH2 and GX1 deliver around 10 stops of dynamic range. The Sony 16 MP sensors in the Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000 deliver about four stops more.

If we find that the LiveMOS sensor in the OM-D EM-5 offers something approaching 14 stops of dynamic range, then it will deserve all the accolades being heaped upon it. But if, as seems more likely, it offers only a slight improvement on the similar sensors in the Panasonic G3, GH2 and GX1, it won't have reached a level where it is truly comparable with the best of the APS-C sensors.

A complicating factor is that the 24 MP sensor in Sony's A77 appears to be a very disappointing performer. But that doesn't make the OM-D E-M5 the high ISO king of m4/3 and APS-C. Not when the Sony-made 16 MP sensor is such a fine performer in the Nikon D700 and Pentax K-5.

I am already in m4/3 with the Panasonic G3, two primes and three zooms, and I'm very happy. But if I owned a Pentax K-5, the mirrorless camera that I would be considering at this time is the Pentax K-01, both for its compatibility with existing lenses and the same excellent dynamic range as its K-5 brother.

-- hide signature --

Colin

Where did you find that the Pentax K-5 has 14 stops of dynamic range ???

-- hide signature --

(equipment in profile)

stefano-italy

jonny1976's gear list:jonny1976's gear list
Nikon D2X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow