After the disappointing 5D3 price, looking to come back to M4/3s, however....

Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,537Gear list
Like?
Re: After the disappointing 5D3 price, looking to come back to M4/3s, however....
In reply to Spoonboy, Mar 18, 2012

I'm currently doing all of my landscape photography with midgrade zooms, and I use 72mm filters (uncoated CPL and 0.9 ND, and a 0.6 multicoated screw-in GND). But I kept all my lenses from my Four Thirds DSLR system, native m4/3 lenses are of course a lot smaller.

Concerning round filters, I'd say it's most practical to rebuy screw-in filters if you have entirely different size-classes of lenses (like, for example, you have some big fat zooms that take 77mm, and you have smaller primes that take 58mm).

Your 150x100mm filters are rather ludicrously sized (they're bigger than the E-M5). I'd still keep them around though, as a way to keep your kit futureproofed. Maybe I'd together a smaller kit of smaller filters+smaller filter holder that you use the most often, keep the 150x100s for when you know you need to pull out all the stops?

But for things like screw-on polarizers and NDs, I'd probably aim overall toward 58mm for most m4/3 lenses (the mockups of the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 showed that they will probably have 58mm threads, for example; the only current m4/3 lenses with larger threads are the Panasonic 14-140 and 100-300, everything else to date is 58mm or smaller).

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow