Best workflow for using iPad without laptop for photos?

Started Mar 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
jkr77
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Re: Best workflow for using iPad without laptop for photos?
In reply to VladimirV, Mar 18, 2012

VladimirV wrote:

richard stern wrote:

I have photo sync, and it's good for syncing, but it doesn't solve my issue - using the iPad as a standalone photo management tool.

Unfortunately you can't use an iPad as a standalone photo management tool as a friend had to find out the hard way while on holiday. Not unless Apple allows more freedom with regards to access the file system.

Just found this out the hard way. I got the iPad3 yesterday and for the life of me I cant believe there isnt a simple way to Transfer my photos to the pad. Its damn near impossible. Ive resorted to EMAILING them one by one.. just to get onto the pad. Using the highly touted iPhoto app it seems very powerfiul BUT you cant even zoom in to 100% to discern the detail of your shots. Im extremely disappointed. Hard ware wise its great but iOS is a cruel joke IMHO... Its a shame that this beautiful screen and tablet is hampered by a severely outdated OS.

I wanted to buy an iPad but the limited functionality it has thanks to Apple locking it down meant it was not more useful than a iPod touch.

I have bought a Asus Transformer with keyboard dock instead and am really happy with it, it actually works not only as a standalone photo management tool but also replaces a netbook with ease and a notebook for travels. You can see JPG and RAW files independently, view the fullsize files (something you can't easy on the iPad), copy files around, view EXIF, rename files, copy to and from a harddrive or USB key and much more.

Thankfully I still have my Transformer, the problem is there are not as many quality apps for photo editing.

Only think it's missing is a full blown RAW converter for it, like RAW Therapee, and Adobe needs to add support for fullsize image editing rather than re-sizing the images to 1600 pixels.

Unless iOS 6.0 in the summer will really change things I would say the iPad is a great device for consuming media but useless for anything else, it is more a eReader than a proper tablet right now as it relies too much on a computer.

Agreed...

jkr77's gear list:jkr77's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow