Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,012Gear list
Like?
D800 and 5DMkIII
Mar 18, 2012

Having read the interviews and the details on the two cameras, which one to get is a difficult choice - they are quite different. Apparently achievable fps played a role in limiting it to 22MP.

If you're a photo journalist or sports shooter, it's a relatively easy choice - the Canon; it's got a great AF probably much better sensor than 5DMkII (has to be after this much time and for that much money); and Canon has a lot of glass aimed at this segment - just look at all the white lenses at any sporting event.

On the other hand, if you are more into landscape type photography like me or wildlife and need to crop but are invested into Canon glass it's a lot harder. The D800/D800E seems aimed at capturing details which is exactly what we're after, their technical manual even goes into lens suggestions and about the D800E:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

The two are different and I guess a lot of people (like me where high ISO and fps are not important) are feeling frustrated at the direction the 5DMkIII went being invested in Canon glass.

I am based in Bangkok and walk-in Canon service centers are very easily accessible (sensor cleaning can be done while you have lunch) while Nikon don't have nearly the same accessibility to service centers (Canon can do this because they produce a wide range of products like printers) so I guess that is a plus for Canon.

I am sure that Canon will release a higher MP lower fps camera because there is clearly a demand for it, but when and how much who knows.

For now, the 5dMkIII seems the cheaper and logical albeit not the desired choice for people in my position.

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow