Having shot with a 7D

Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
bed bug
Senior MemberPosts: 2,977
Like?
Re: Macro
In reply to filmluvr, Mar 18, 2012

Having both a FF and crop camera, there is no doubt in mine that the 7D provides greater DOF. Diffraction is a bit of a crock (like many things stated on this site!); mostly I use my images for teaching purposes for Powerpoint presentations or for printing in text books at less than six inches across in size. I do shoot regularly at f/14 and above with the MPE65 and for these sizes diffraction effects are just irrelevant. I do own a 24" printer and have printed 7D images out at 24 by around 36, and again diffraction is not noticable.

Kind regards
Stephen

filmluvr wrote:

Are you sure the 7D provides greater DOF? Diffraction effects limit a crop body to about f/11-12, whereas FF sees degradation starting about f/16-18. Despite the DOF difference in an aperture-to-aperture comparison, in the end, I think it's a wash. I agree regrading magnification, although the 5DMKII does have enough resolution to crop somewhat. That partially offsets the natural magnification advantage of the crop body.

-- hide signature --

http://jackandkelly.zenfolio.com/

Canon 5D, 17-40mm, 70-300mm IS USM, 50mm f/1.8 II, 100mm macro, 28-135mm, 28mm f/2.0 Kiron, 135mm f/2.8 Rikenon, 200mm f/3.5 Komuranon, 500mm f/7.0 Komuranon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow