The OM-D E-M5 is upon us. Has the Nex lost its chance?

Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vet3shaws
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
The OM-D E-M5 is upon us. Has the Nex lost its chance?
Mar 18, 2012

Like many here, by the time my Nex-7 pre-order arrives on my doorstep, the OM-D E-M5 will be out. I have a Nex-5n and am tired of the clicking. (It's quiet, but it's there.) Fixing that would be setting things right, but yet not forward.

The Nex-7 is nice for us because of the EVF and the Tri-Navi, but still no fast pancakes lenses. Still no in-body image stabilization.

We've all heard about the Sony Nex E-mount lens roadmap. The 24mm CZ and the 50mm 1.8 primes make the Nex an a beautiful rendering! But the auto-focus is unreliable. IS is only in some lenses. Wild how the CZ doesn't have it. So one can't help but think about the Nex: I don't need a beautiful and shaky blur.

Besides, look at the m43 / uMFT line has:
$350 Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Pancake Lens (40mm equiv)
$300 Panasonic Lumix 14mm f/2.5 G Aspherical Lens (28mm equiv)
And for telephoto:
$400 Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 Lens (90mm equiv)

Perhaps, where the Sony kinda has me, is the 16mm 2.8 with its 2 adapters, the wide-angle and the fisheye. I call them the 3 stooges. Does uMFT have anything comparable? Either way, it's not going to keep me in the Nex camp. Those 3 are like the 3 stooges, just for fun.

Because the Olympus OM-D E-M5 has an EVF, probably no Nex-5n clicking, has the pancake lenses, and the 5-axis in-body image stabilization, with faster auto-focusing... it's kinda hard not to jump ship.

For me, I like the Nex-5n and the Nex-7 grip. The resolution on the Nex EVF, while higher, is not that important for non-legacy glass users. It's tri-Navi interface seems to break even with the touch-screen focus-shoot of the OM-D E-M5.

Besides the feature set, the price is telling:

$2600 = $1100 Nex-7 + $900 24/1.8 CZ + $300 50/1.8 + $300 3-stooges (awesome sales)

Versus

$2050 = $1000 E-M5 + $350 Lumix 20/1.7 Asph Pancake + $300 Lumix 14/2.5 G Asph + $400 M. Zuiko 45/1.8

What are you thoughts on these 2 different kits? Should I consider other lenses? My wife loves bokeh, otherwise I probably would have been happy with the Nikon V1's blazing auto-focus. The E-M5's noise handling seem fantastic. I have learned to manual focus well but not easily, because missing a shot frustrate. Share your thoughts.

Vet3shaws's gear list:Vet3shaws's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow