Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maflynn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,983
Like?
Nikon D5100 vs. Olympus OMD
Mar 17, 2012

Please bear with me as I obsess over which camera to buy.

First my stated needs: I want a camera to be a general carry around type camera where much of the shooting conditions will be less then ideal lighting and/or my kids in motion. I currently own a Nikon D70s (admittedly getting long in the tooth) and found it to be a bit large to bring to restaurants or carrying around Disney World. Its a good camera but a bit larger and heavier then I want.

I own a Nikon V1, I found while the size is awesome, the noise performance at 800 to be less then ideal and at 1600 to be poor. The DOF and dynamic range is a sacrifice as well but one that I can live with (I do miss having some beautiful bokeh though)

I have an Olympus OMD EM-5 reserved at my local camera shop but looking at some of the lenses that I can get 12-50mm (rather huge) and the 14-40mm (a bit smaller), I may not be saving that much in terms of weight and size. True I can buy some fast primes which I may do. I current use a 10mm (effective 27mm) on my V1 and love it. Its tiny and the prime some good work.

As I ponder the price and performance of the OM-D EM-5, I start wondering if I want to reconsider getting a newer DSLR, such as the D5100 from nikon.

Thoughts for or against the Micro 4/3 vs. the DSLR on my stated needs.

Yes, I tend to over think things so please have mercy on me

Thanks
Mike

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D5100 Nikon D70s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow