:/ HDMI out @1080i only!

Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brad Morris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,454
Like?
Re: Not true: HDMI out @1080i only!
In reply to bob elkind, Mar 17, 2012

The D800 will actually output 1080/24p and 1080/30p in a 1080/60i wrapper and 1080/25p in a 1080/50i wrapper. That is true for all HDMI out devices currently available

Depending on what recorder you have, you will either have to to the pull down in software on your computer to convert it back without quality loss or on higher end recorders, the recorder will do it on the fly in the recorder itself.

The 2 or 3 fields that are inserted into each interlaced frame are actually all identical so doing a pulldown will not lose any quality. this diagram shows 24p in a 60i feed

there is a pretty good description of exactly what is going on here:

http://atomos.activehosted.com/kb/article/samurai/1004-how-most-cameras-output-24p-from-the-hdsdi-and-hdmi-ports

bob elkind wrote:

JimmyTwoShoes wrote:

I love photography and want to capture video using the D800 but it appears the HDMI outputs at (uncompressed) 1080i and not 1080p.

You are mistaken.

This is a huge blow for me as I have invested in an external field recorder specifically to capture 1080p @ 4:2:2 using that wonderful sensor.

Is the field recorder capable of direct HDMI input, both RGB and R/R-Y/B-Y ? If not, you might still have a problem.

Also, the D800 and D4 HDMI output format is likely "4:4:4" at the connector. Compression to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 may take place inside the video engine, but your field recorder will see the same data rate for all three "colour channels" coming from the dSLR.

is there any evidence to the contrary?

Yes. Read the manual.

if it is the case, could it be updated in a future FW update?

You can rest easy.

-- hide signature --

Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow