Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MrBert
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Manual focus/focus check live view in dark places
Mar 17, 2012

I wonder if I am doing something wrong here.

I have the 580 and I do quite some shooting in a dim lit room while using studio flash. So I think I need to shoot in manual mode. I shoot most times ISO200-400 with largest possible apertures ( F2.8 - F5.6) 1/125

In this situation I can only use AF because I cannot see much on the live view screen. The image is almost black with just some parts slightly visible.

I can see a clear image in the OVF but MF with the viewfinder is not very accurate.)

Lucky enough the AF is not bad and many shots are OK but sometimes shooting with F2.8 there is about 4 cm DOF @ 50mm and 1 m distance (which i sometimes like) and I want to make sure I am focusing on the right place. In AF this is always a bit of a gamble even in spot focusing

Am I using some wrong setting? What could I improve? I know I could switch on plenty of normal light but that would ruin the atmosphere. OK I realize a flash also does something like that but thats only brief and well accepted.

Also now I am wondering: How do you shoot in similar situations with SLT camera's? Would this work better with A77? What does one see in the viewfinder in similar situations? IS that brighter?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow