About to assist in a wedding, but I am just a beginner!

Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ugly1
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
About to assist in a wedding, but I am just a beginner!
Mar 17, 2012

Hello good people, I need some help/clarification/guidance,etc. with an up-coming wedding that I am going be a 2nd photographer for.

They asked me to BE their wedding photographer, but I recommended that they hire a Semi/Pro photographer, and I would love to be there as a 2nd shooter.

I have a 3 areas I need some help with.

1) I recently got a 5D MK II and might still have my 60D by the time the wedding comes around. My goal is to have 2 bodies, but finances will dictate if I need to sell the 60D+BG-E9 battery grip. I only have: EF 28mm f/ 1.8, EF 50mm f/ 1.8 and EF 85mm f/1.8.

Now, for those who have experience with weddings and the aforementioned equipment, would it be enough to cover the whole wedding with just the 28 and the 85? I am not really a big fan of the 50 1.8.

What about the lens+body combination? I realize that I would have to figure it out once I am there, but have any of you been in this situation?

2) I also have a 580EX II, and have noticed that it does not automatically out put the right amount of light to fill in the shadows on faces. I mostly shoot in M on the camera, but leave the flash at its default auto. But, I do adjust the flash exposure compensation to get the kind of output I think is most suitable/desired.

Any help/ideas/tips would be most welcome, as I do not intend to blow out anyone's face and/or kill ambient light.

3) I asked not to be compensated for this wedding since I lack experience in photography and technique. However, if I do manage to get a few decent shots and some people(not bride & groom) would like to have them printed, where can I put/host? these photos? I would like for them to 'buy' the prints as I want credit for them. Is that wrong for me to want at this early a stage? I don't want to seem arrogant or ignorant, but I am poor and any little money would really help me advance as I DO want to pursue wedding photography on the side...

ugly1's gear list:ugly1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow