OT: feeling awkward shooting in public

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
mremonen
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
Re: OT: feeling awkward shooting in public
In reply to jjjaaammm, Mar 17, 2012

I have the same problem, except the equipment is 5n (I do not think it makes the difference) and I'm also currently trying to learn the trade (city stalking). What I've tried to do is to emulate tourists, which wouldn't be too difficult in NYC. Tourists explore everything like they were in DisneyWorld: "Hey, they've built all this just for me" and they behave likewise. If you follow a regular tourist he or she doesn't give a f*ck what someone is thinking if he/she likes to take a photo of something.

Of course you must have common sense and courtesy what to do and where to go (not being like me who in my only visit in NYC decided to walk from Javits Convention Center to Times Square: after two blocks I was in the neighborhood which I was not very comfortable with. Being the only stupid caucasian tourist around...).. AND, as someone already said, do not shoot kids. Definitely not while stalking. It's something which is not tolerated.

Anyway this equipment is really made for public shooting. If I ever tried with my other equipment (D700 and mosty f2.8 lenses) the traffic will stop and police will arrive before I have the change to put the darn thing even on.

BTW. This was taken today less than 3 feet from the guys. Ofcourse it helped that they were engaged in discussion.

mremonen's gear list:mremonen's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D800E Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow