Olympus OM-D (EM-5) comparison samples are now.. (continued)

Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,718Gear list
Like?
Olympus OM-D (EM-5) comparison samples are now.. (continued)
Mar 17, 2012

Continued to answer Andy Westlake:

Raist3d wrote:
Andy Westlake wrote:
A> How does the lighting intensity affect the high ISO noise?

R> If the camera compensates for the exposure with different shutter speed it sure can! A capture of the same final intensity under a longer exposure accumulates more noise.

A> Can you show me a practical example, using shutter speeds similar to those we're using here? Reality is that while this can theoretically be an issue for exposures longer than a second or two, we're nowhere near that in these tests. It can also be effectively compensated by dark-frame subtraction, AKA long exposure noise reduction, anyway.

I don't agree with you we need to get to longer than a second or two to see the difference particularly at high ISO and bad light, but I will agree with your point that at very fast shutter speeds like the ones shown it should not matter. Asking the general question, I would say it can certainly affect it.

Now- I did miss that you had mentioned elsewhere that for this test, the light intensity between the EM5 test and many other cameras was changed. That I was missing so now it makes more sense. But that said, it would be good if the test mentioned this somewhere, because it sure seems a bit odd when you see the exif.

This all said, going by the assumption that the manufacturers are conforming all good and peachy with the ISO to me is a bit of a big assumption, when in the past there have been cameras measured by this very website that certainly did not. So I still say it would be a good idea to always verify that.

R> This gets compounded in the real world where high intensity light usually is more full spectrum light vs lower light which is uially candle or tungsten or sodium light but at least this latter part shouldn't be affected in the studio.

A> Arguments about the white balance of artifical light sources are irrelevent in this case (and it's white balance, rather than intensity or long shutter speeds, that has most effect). But if you want to see what the E-M5 can do at high ISO under low-intensity artificial light, we've previously published samples to give an idea:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/09/olympus-omd-em5-iso-series

This is a different scene, granted, but it does have nice big swathes of dark background to help assess the shadow noise and potential banding etc.

I saw that test, and while I like that you guys set it up with tungsten light which is tough on sensors, I did see a bit high of shutter speeds suggesting more light than what I find is a low light condition in the real world (at least indoors, street night life and wedding reception at night). Not too bad on that end though, I have seen farse worse there.

I do agree it helps see banding.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow