Interesting article on the outsourcing of US jobs....

Started Jan 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,789
Like?
Re: And, of course, there is the basic question: Why are they...
In reply to Father Anderson, Mar 17, 2012

Father Anderson wrote:

....I won't argue any of this.....I even accept (but do not condone) the legal right of corporations like insurance companies to make money by hurting and killing people all in the name of shareholder profits .....

As the the character of Rothstein (?) said in the movie Godfather Part II ...."This is the life we have chosen !"

But.... why did we choose it?

In part we chose it because we (and by that I mean me and others who have a typical Western job and benefits) depend on the system for our very future survival. Corporations are run for the shareholders. Shareholders expect a certain return, but also, they expect growth. That is why corporations are not content with selling items at cost or for low profits. Shareholders, relentlessly, expect growth. If the company does not deliver growth, the stock is dumped. That is why corporations are punished: not enough growth in profits.

So who are these shareholders, these tyrants, greedy profiteers who demand growth at any cost? These embodiments of impersonal, inhuman evil?

If you have a 401K or an IRA or a pension made of stocks, and you count on it to grow to beat inflation so you can live comfortably in retirement; if you will rearrange your portfolio (read: sell stocks of your insufficiently profitable companies), if you worry if your retirement fund will stay ahead of inflation and cost of living increases, then...

...the shareholder is YOU. You see The Shareholder every time you look in the mirror. YOUR life is set up to require corporations to profit.

I have no more virtue than any other in this system. If I dump stocks, I don't know how to fund my retirement any better than simply working every day of my life, or finding some benefactor who will take me in and eliminate life's expenses. Just wanted to point out that the scapegoat here is not some easy anonymous rich guy target. It is us. It is our parents and grandparents who absolutely depend on growing, profitable stock portfolios to live.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow