ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaddyG
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
Considering exchanging EF85 1.8 for EF100 2.8 macro
Mar 17, 2012

Hi,

Be keen on your thoughts. I've had my 85 1.8 for almost two years, and love the shallow DOF, even on my APS-C 60D. However I've not been entirely happy with it. Yes it is sharp wide open, as the reviews say, but my problems are threefold:

• the amount of CA (purple fringing) at 1.8 is quite horrendous in high contrast areas

• In low contrast areas (e.g. focusing in shade in in evening), it has a propensity to front focus. This is not a camera calibration issue.

• The closest focusing distance, 0.85m, is prohibitive when photographing children & toddlers

So, for these reasons, I'm considering the EF100 2.8 USM macro. Of course the I'll miss that shallow DOF, though I believe 2.8 will be ok for my portrait intentions. And, 160mm as opposed to 136mm probably wont make a big difference.

Any other considerations here to be aware of? How do you find this macro for portraits, CA and accuracy of focusing?

Cheers

p.s. I can't justify the L series primes at this stage, and the EF-S 60mm has too close a working distance for the macro photography I intend to get more involved in.

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow