When will we see next-gen sensor tech from Canon?

Started Mar 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Binone
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?
What makes you think the 5D3 isn't next generation?
In reply to Guy Lerner, Mar 17, 2012

Seriously, just because Canon took a different direction than Nikon, doesn't mean that their sensor is in any way inferior. Nikon made a decision to increase pixel count for those that want to make huge prints - probably much bigger than 17x24, or crop small areas out of a frame. Canon chose to emphasize DR and low noise over pixel count. That in no way makes the 5D3 sensor inferior - just different.

It remains to be seen which sensor delivers the best IQ, and my guess is that for most prints under good lighting, you won't be able to tell the difference between the 5D3 and D800. Under poor lighting, it's very possible that the 5D3's IQ will beat the D800s - but we won't know for sure until we see objective reviews.

Canon could easily have made a sensor with 50M, or even 100M pixels. The technology is there to do that - just scale a P&S camera's pixels up to FF size - there's no magic to that. The results would have been awful. Frankly, I think that it's quite funny how easily some people are fooled into making the assumption that just because one camera has more pixels than another, it is more advanced and will produce higher IQ. At some point, adding resolution is not going to produce higher IQ because the lens itself isn't of high enough resolution to take advantage of the higher resolution sensor. And, just evaluating pixel count ignores other very important factors that go into IQ. The only way to properly understand what competing cameras are capable of, and judge which one may be "more advanced", is a side-by-side comparison shooting identical subjects under identical conditions. DPreview does this and, before condemning one manufacturer, and praising another, we really should wait for the reviews.

I, for one, have loved the results that I've achieved with my 5D2 over the past 3 years. I can print as large as 17x24 and the print quality is stunning. Now, I'm anxiously awaiting my new 5D Mk3, which arrives next week.

Binone's gear list:Binone's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow