Landscape lens for Sony?

Started Mar 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tommy tek
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?
Thanks for the reply
In reply to WhiteCranePhoto, Mar 16, 2012

So far, it's been the 16-80mm Zeiss lens for the Alpha mount, and the 18-200mm e-mount lens for the Nex.

As for why:
They're relatively compact
They're relatively lightweight
They are sharp (the Zeiss is the sharper of the two)
For landscapes I don't often need shallow depth of field, so the speed is fine
For landscapes autofocus speed isn't usually important, so the 18-200 is fine

The CZ lens is nicer though; it has less reach, so it's not as versatile as the 18-200, but the manual focus is MUCH nicer. I find the 18-200 manual focus doesn't feel very precise, and in low light it struggles to find focus.

However, for climbing mountains, the 18-200 worked great; it was the only lens I used when climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the CZ 16-80 and ended up getting the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 instead. I was comparing the two lenses for indoor shots at the time. I'm not sure if the 28mm end is wide enough for landscapes. I do have the 18-55 mm kit lens which isn't that bad at all, but I am wondering about other options. My overweight 61 year old butt can make it up mountains with hiking trails, but real mountain climbing I will leave to those who are more fit. I do envy you!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow