ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
electrosim2001
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-3D1 short review... part 2
Mar 16, 2012

review continued

I own a Panasonic SDT750 as well, also with optical image stabilisation, but I can detect jitter on the screen from its fast vibrating OIS system whereas I can't detect any jitter from the 3D1's OIS. The quality of the OIS is to me a real boon as it is so easy to get really smooth steady shots that are so important when videoing in 3D. The camera has variable focal length lenses but you have to set up your ( 4X zoom lenses ) prior to recording when in 3D video mode. However this is perhaps a benefit as it will stop the annoying video produced by the average amateur who insists on regular zooming, along with hosepipe panning.

Panasonic haven't found a way to deter panning except that it really doesn't look great when you pan the 3D1 camera too quickly. I guess 3D will not handle speedy pans whatever camera is used. Certainly my Samsung TV doesn't like sideways pans.

The colours are accurate and the video is sharp and smooth and of a different order of quality even from that of the excellent Sony Bloggie 3D, being pretty much noise-free. I would say that the video ' is ' noise-free but I haven't any equipment to test the camera and I am just going off my subjective perception from viewing the video on my 51" TV. The stereobase is 30mm and I find this absolutely perfect for good depth and a produces a really natural 3D experience when viewed on TV. The camera is fully automatic when in 3D mode, but fortunately it has an exposure adjustment so that you can reduce/increase exposure in 1/3 stops quite simply. The 2D touch screen camera allows you to put a couple of 'favourite' short-cuts to menus on it and I have this 'exposure control' together with a 3D depth control short-cut, available for instant access. I found the default zero setting gave rise to a little over-exposure in sunlit conditions, so backing off to minus 1/3rd or 2/3rds or a stop even ( up to two stops possible ) can easily sort this out. Conversely, notching up on the plus side will help with back-lit shots.

The other shortcut I use, the 3D depth control, makes possible the forward backward movement of the stereo window. I like the window close so that it appears when viewing the video that you are looking 'into' the scene. The 3D depth control has plus and minus settings and is a very useful and practical feature. Some of the Youtube videos have obviously used the default zero setting so near-to objects jut out of the screen with resultant windows violations and near-to backgrounds appear flush with the screen. I was pleased to discover that this is so easily remedied.

Having a 2D screen obviously means that you have to use your 'expertise' somewhat to gauge the 3D effect but in the main I have found it not to be too difficult although I have had window violations but I'm sure this will be minimised with a little more practise. There is a 3D warning given by the camera when you get too close, and I did overdo the nearness sometimes to get a handle on what happens when you ignore the warning.

The 2D LCD screen is ( surprise, surprise ) not particularly easy to view in bright sunlight, but its being 2D has an advantage for me in that I can use a viewfinder loupe to view the screen and I get to see a clear 2D magnified image which is much better than viewing the Sony Bloggie's lined 3D screen with the loupe. Sound is important for me, and here the Panasonic is no slouch. It records clear stereo audio and doesn't raise background sound as I find happens with the Sony Bloggie 3D when videoing in quiet conditions. I recorded some electronic organ playing and it handled this difficult to record instrument quite well with no overload, although not so well as a Zoom Q3 will do.

The 3D stills that I have taken are of excellent quality but as far as I know you are stuck with recording 2D jpegs alongside the mpos, and this doesn't seem to be able to be disabled in the menu as you can do with the W3. I also found that Magix editor didn't recognise the mpos when I tried to import them, but this could well be me doing something wrong and I haven't really checked this out properly yet. I will have another try and then add my findings to this review. ( see below )

All in all I am absolutely delighted with my purchase and it will be my camcorder of choice, and ( Magix problem being sorted out ... see below ) my camera of choice too to add 3D stills to my video timeline as the 3D ( depth-wise ) is good for both video and stills plus I find also that it is easier to produce anaglyphs that don't need re-aligning than when I use the W3. I will continue to use the W3 for deeper depth 3D stills.

addendum.........I have now managed to import the mpo stills from the 3D1 into Magix video editor, but not natively. I first had to run them through SPM and save as either 960 X 1080 mpos after resizing to anamorphic 50% squashed SBS format or 1920 X 1080 stereo images ( full width SBS )

Panasonic Lumix DMC-3D1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow