Started Mar 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Leeuw
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
Jupiter with 500mm/f4
Mar 16, 2012

Six weeks ago I did my first attempts to shoot Jupiter with a 7D + 500mm + 2x + 1.4x and posted the result in this forum. Instead of shooting many individual pictures to stack I now captured short avi’s directly from LiveView onto my laptop. I found a piece of software that can capture 1025x680 pixels in full sensor resolution (in fact a 100% crop). The avi’s deliver a lot of frames for stacking however with the used magnification and without tracking, the planet crosses the window within 20 seconds which means a limitation of the number of frames and quite some effort to re-align each time.

Each of the 4 Jupiter images below is a stack of around 250 frames. This time I put a second 2x extender to the hardware stack which gave me 2800mm. Yesterday evening I was quite lucky. Not only because it seemed to be a clear sky with rather good seeing but the images revealed these huge structures in Jupiter’s atmosphere also showing the planet’s rotation in the sequence. Another surprise was the moon Ganymede positioned very close to the planet from our point of view and in the picture it is even visible in front of the planet a little bit later. Hope you enjoy.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow