G1X replaces 5D2 w/ 24-105 for travel

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Adrian Walmsley
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X replaces 5D2 w/ 24-105 for travel
In reply to ck_WTB, Mar 16, 2012

I left my 7d + 24-105L at home and took my G12 on a trip to South America a year ago.

Partly to save weight and partly for security (not to be seen carrying a big expensive camera and lens).

Photo quality was perfect for my purpose: I made a couple of panoramas (of the Upsala and Perito Merino glaciers) - hand held using stitch assist which Photoshop 5.1 assembled seamlessly.

And I used AEB + Photoshop to create an HDR photo of a backlit chapel (Estancia Santa Cristina near El Calafate); no tripod but Photoshop handled it fine.

I reckon I only missed a couple of shots that I would have got with the 7D and a long lens: a condor in flight, and monkeys in a tree which were close enough to have been ok with the 140mm of the G12 if it would have focused fast enough.
Your mileage may vary - especially if you're on a wild-life trip.

So I'd be very happy to have a G1X as a travel camera. The low light performance would have helped on several occasions on my South America trip, and the extra pixels would allow cropping in partial compensation for the shorter lens (compared to the G12).

The only question is whether to jump now or stick with the G12 till the G1X prices drop.

-- hide signature --

Adrian Walmsley

Adrian Walmsley's gear list:Adrian Walmsley's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow