Started Mar 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
The quickest way to hate the G1 X
Mar 16, 2012

Is to buy one. Ironically this is also the quickest way to love it. Yep, it's been a love/hate relationship for the last two weeks, and here's why.

I own a 7D, 10-22 EF-S, 15-85 EF-S, 70-200 EF f/4 L, 28-135 EF, 430 EXII, a D10, and a bunch of other accessories, HD video camera, etc etc. Now, almost every time I leave the house to get a picture I actually have to think about my camera selection for more than two seconds. What's really frustrating is that I normally can't talk myself out of taking the G1 X. I'm sure some of that is the novelty of a new camera, but I wouldn't take a camera along for that reason alone. Usually low light or night shots were a no brainer -- take the 7D -- but now I have to think of my 7D lens selection as well as the articulating screen on the G1 X. Sometimes this means taking both cameras because I love using the 10-22 for unique perspectives, but that's the same reason I love the G1 X articulating display. The two effects are completely different of course, one being unique angle of view (107 degrees) and the other being a unique viewing angle. Do I need great detail or clean high ISO's? Aaarrrrgghhhhh!

I'm sure there will be many times the decision between the two will be clear, but the overlap is now a source of frustration and confusion. I'd imagine this is one of the things that unsettles many people about the G1 X and leads to some lukewarm feelings. Someone might say "but it can't do macro like my P&S." No, but it can do almost everything your DSLR can do. "So I'll buy a DSLR." And when you need a point and shoot you'll be okay with pretty lousy image quality? "Uhhhhhhh.....but I need speed." Always? Is speed ALWAYS worth hauling a large camera around? If you can only have one camera and there is something you specifically want, then of course that will eliminate a vast majority of cameras right away and the G1 X won't be immune to that process of elimination.

So when I'm out with my G1 X I feel like I'm neglecting the awesome 7D kit that costs considerably more, but I'm getting used to the fact that I haven't made it obsolete. Crowding into DSLR territory isn't something that is very comfortable for people who have gotten used to the combination of amazing speed and amazing image quality, and some people reject anything outside that combination strongly, but I think people will get used to the idea. Why spend so much money on something that has compromises mixed with advantages in a new way that is very difficult to reconcile given our long experience with point and shoots being so vastly different from DSLR's? I've found the answer to that question.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3595765406/albums/random-g1-x-shots

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot G1 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow