iwannabesedated
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I getting this right?
In reply to reginalddwight, Mar 16, 2012

reginalddwight wrote:

iwannabesedated wrote:

reginalddwight wrote:

Nikon are usually conservative in their projected numbers.

Because of the significant cost differential between SD and CF cards, I have purchased recently a Sandisk 64GB SDXC (45 MB/s) from B&H for $128. I passed up on the near equivalent Sandisk 64GB CF (albeit faster, 60 MB/s) for $280. For now, I will use the 32GB CF cards I have and purchase the 64GB ones once the price comes down some.

Huh? Right now, you can buy 64GB 95MB/s Sandisk SDXC cards from B&H for $190. I picked up a couple of them 3 weeks ago.

Here's the link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824149-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_064G_A75_64GB_SDXC_Memory_Card.html

Yes, I saw that as well. I opted for the slower but less expensive 64GB SDXC card.

Gotcha. If you don't need the speed, why pay for it? My personal experience was that the 400x (60MB/s) CFs were a little too slow for some of my sports shooting - kept outrunning the buffer on long sequences. Problem was solved when I stepped up to 90 MB/s CFs.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 95-90MB/s Sandisk 64GB SDXC cards were actually considerably cheaper than their 90MB/s CF counterparts. SD is a slightly more convenient form factor for me because my laptop has a built-in SDXC slot - meaning no need to break out the USB 3.0 CF reader. So, I plan to set up my D800 to designate the SD slot as primary, and the CF slot as overflow (the reverse of what I use on my D300s setup). Regards and happy shooting. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow