ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,635Gear list
Like?
1D MKIV vs Fuji X-Pro1
Mar 16, 2012

OK. You can stop laughing now.

I know, I know, these are two completely different beasts.

Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY claiming the X-Pro1 is even close to the all around camera of the MKIV.

But, they do both produce exactly the same sized images and I have been shooting with the MKIV for a few years now and the X-Pro1 has been very impressive so far, so I was interested in a Noise and Resolution comparison.

So, I did a test (JPG) between MK IV and X-Pro1 today. I put them both on tripods, Canon w/ 35 f1.4. Shutter speed priority on both at 1/60. I went through ISO 200-12,800 and shot 4 shots with each camera at each setting.

Not even close. The Fuji blows the MKIV away for noise. I would call it a 2 stop advantage, conservatively. This is a $6000 canon set up vs. a $2700. As for resolution, to my eyes, the Fuji wins again.

I will not be parting with my Canon just yet (not by a long shot). The Canon KILLS the Fuji in almost every other measure: speed, focal length coverage, accurate focus, usability, durability, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

But, this little Fuji sensor and jpg engine is a monster. The bunny rabbit in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" comes to mind.

And from what I have seen for image samples from the 5D MKIII and 1DX, IQ (resolution and noise) is better on this camera that fits in a (albeit very big) jacket pocket.

It is the first time in my life that I can go out with a small digital camera and not come home disappointed with image quality.

The Canon EOS system is amazing. Lenses, remotes, wireless, software, support. But their sensors are NOT the cutting edge they once were.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow