Started Mar 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zombeeez
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
New D5100 replacing D40... lens questions
Mar 16, 2012

My D40 with Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II was stolen recently and I ordered a D5100 today to replace it. I've ordered it with the kit 18-55mm lens but will probably cancel the order for a body only and get a different lens. My wife and I are not pros by any stretch but we take a lot of pictures and do not mind investing in a nice lens for that. We shoot portraits of family a lot, landscapes at Tahoe, Disneyland, and other every day Joe type of things. I realize landscapes and portraits command two different lenses but the Tamron we had fit the bill for 80% of what we did and the biggest factor was it was a decent low light performer which is #1 important for us as we like the natural ambient light, shoot indoors and at night often, and have no talent with a flash.

The lenses I'm considering are:

Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S (The images I have seen from this are jaw dropping! Unbelievable bokeh!) - This is currently my first choice for a lens that would work for that same 80 percentile however we would have to learn shooting with a prime lens.

Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II - Was good before but had issues with the D40 body thinking it was unattached and the AF motor would sometimes get ahm, confused?

Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX - The alternative to the Tamron above?

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX - Bokeh looks a little weak

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II - Probably not going to be a good performer in low light???

I have no objections to owning additional lenses but the reality is that we will primarily use one lens 80-90% of the time for low light, outdoor, portraits, and general purpose. I know that is a broad use but any info to help me narrow down my options would be much appreciated!

Nikon D40 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow