Started Mar 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
maxxjr
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
Re: Next lens
In reply to GurneyHalleck, Mar 15, 2012

GurneyHalleck wrote:

Hi,

I won't ask for "What should I buy next", but I want to gather some ideas and experiences.

I am looking for my next lens and let me give you the facts:

60D
Sigma 30mm 1.4
Canon 15-85mmm
Tamron 70-300mm VC
Canon 50mm 1.8 (not used for years)
Speedlite 430EX II

A few comments:

Low light zoom: Depending on what "low light" means, f2.8 may not be fast enough, not sure if OS helps in every situation, and my preference is a fast prime or Flash.

With a flash, you may as well stick with one of the zooms. I am generally very happy with IQ with just bouncing the flash off the ceiling, without getting into any more involved lighting setups.

For a fast prime...if there is freedom to move around, say at family events, I usually can get buy with a prime. I have the Sigma 30mm, and also the Canon 85mm/1.8. I bought the Canon primarily to increase distance to pets and kids playing, where flash or getting too close with the 30mm might disrupt the activity.

I generally like working with camera and smaller lenses, in order to be less intrusive, have less to carry around, and I am willing to trade-off having to get a less-than ideal framing of a scene and crop later.

If your Sigma 30 is problematic (mine is excellent), consider replacing it. Canon 35/2, 35/1.4, etc.

(BTW...noted your username...just now reading the books for the first time)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow