A PEN while I wait

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
MrFoopy
Regular MemberPosts: 322
Like?
Re: A PEN while I wait
In reply to Martin Ocando, Mar 15, 2012

Martin Ocando wrote:

Nice advice. I do have a couple MF primes, specially a very sharp SMC Super Takumar 55mm. I'll get the adapter, no doubt about that.

I'm also planning on getting it with just the pancake 17mm. Is that a good idea? Any other prime you recommend?

You can burn up all your own photography time from now until the OM-D ships reading people's advice about which primes to buy. The answer is (as always) that it depends on what you like to shoot. Some favorites around here are:

• Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (pancake, very compact)

• the Oly 20mm f/2 (wide, but expensive)

• the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 (also a bit spendy, but lovely)

• the Oly 40mm f/1.8 (also lovely, and less expensive).

I bought the PL25mm f/1.4 because I wanted to see if it could replace what I might normally use a 50mm f/1.4 or 35mm f/2 for on my DSLRs. The answer so far as been a resounding yes. The photos are at least a match for what I get out of the Canon primes and the CDAF focusing is perhaps slower but more accurate than on the DSLR.

I didn't consider the f/2.8 17mm because I don't usually shoot with a slower 34mm equivalent with my DSLR. I do like how small those pancakes are, though.

When I eventually try another prime, it will likely be the 40mm f/1.8. The equivalent lens on the DSLR has always been one of my favorites.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow