X 1pro vs. Nex 7 - comes down to one button

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
chekist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,382Gear list
Like?
Re: X 1pro vs. Nex 7 - comes down to one button
In reply to Weistling, Mar 15, 2012

I am deciding between NEX-7 and Fuji X Pro myself, but I find this description a bit off the mark for me.

I use NEX with whole array of lenses: Zeiss ZM, Zeiss E-mount, Sony lenses via autofocus adapter. Yes, with autofocus adapter and external mic input make Sony a great video camera, quite capable.

But this is not all that NEX has to offer. It has great controls and great support for MF lenses (see caveat below). Great sensor. One of the best focusing speeds with E-mount. DSLR focusing speed with adapter. Big RAW baffler, fast frame rate... and on and on. I have never looked for MF/AF switch, so this does not justify saying that NEX is video camera.

Give that it is Fuji forum, I would like to explain why with such a great camera I am looking at Fuji Pro X. It really comes down to 4 reasons:

1) NEX does not work well with wide M-mount lenses, and has no other wide options

2) When using AA-less Ricoh, I clearly see saw the difference that presence of AA makes.

3) Fuji style is just beautiful; since photography is a hobby for me, this is reason a relevant as any other.

At the same time I would have to give-up all of the great things that NEX has to offer:
1) Ability to use is a DSLR via adapter
2) Ability to shoot video with refocusing
3) Faster focus with native lenses
4) Larger buffer

5) Interface that is easy to operate with one hand (other being use for focusing)
6) Many little issues that every Fuji camera is released with

7) giving up 24mm AF lens, which in my books more useful than 35mm on APS-C camera.

So it is not an easy choice.

-- hide signature --
 chekist's gear list:chekist's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Sony RX100 II Olympus PEN E-PL1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow