Confused.com - D3s? D800?

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fullframer
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
Re: Confused.com - D3s? D800?
In reply to Zlik, Mar 15, 2012

Zlik wrote:

I had a D3s, and I sold it last week for $4,3k (like new) and ordered the D800. I think if you don't need the FPS and don't mind the different body tiype, the D800 will be a better choice. We have seen many samples, and I processed every possible NEF file I found from the D800 with my regular workflow and I have to say, until 12800 ISO, I don't see the D3s giving better results. Of course, that's just a feeling without a straight comparison. The D800 will be clearly better than the D3s at low ISO (obviously), and I think the D3s will take over between 3200-6400 ISO (have a look at Marianne and Bill's graphs, too), but you won't see a big difference until 12800ISO.

Now if you only shoot events and don't need more than 12MP, I would say that the D3s is a better choice because of the faster workflow, FPS and body type.

I went from D3s to D800 because I shoot high ISO and low ISO photos.

For shooting High ISO, I wouldn't get rid of a D3S for a D800.

Hope this helps. Don't forget the D800 is 2years newer technology...

Don't forget the D800 is not as well built or sealed as the D3S and it's shutter doesn't last as long. Just because something is newer doesn't make it better. For event or sports, as you said above, the D3S is the better camera vs a D800.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow