When will we see next-gen sensor tech from Canon?

Started Mar 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Guy Lerner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,770
Like?
When will we see next-gen sensor tech from Canon?
Mar 15, 2012

Hi

It's clear to me from reading up on different sensor technologies that Canon has taken a different road in sensor design to Sony (and to Nikon and Pentax who use Sony's tech). With the new 5D3 and 1DX Canon has arguably hit the limit of its current sensor tech, at least as far as extracting better IQ at lower and higher gains/ISO. Sony seems to have come up with a way to limit electronic noise at base and mid ISO levels, and this design philosophy is absent from Canon's latest sensors.

That's not to say Canon's approach doesn't have its own advantages - I fully expect Canon's new sensors to deliver less noise and more detail at higher ISOs, which seems to be what they're after.

But we've now reached a level of diminishing returns, where the gain of an extra half-to-full stop of usable ISO is a big advance, compared to previous generations of sensor. So I guess my question to this forum is - when do you think Canon will introduce its next generation sensor design, which presumably would address any shortcominginfo pared to the low ISO/high DR ability of the current Sony tech?

Since this tech is not limited to FF sensors - and indeed debuted in cameras like the D7000, is it plausible that Canon would opt to use it in the next iteration of the 7D, or even the xxD? This could conceivably result in a higher MP crop sensor with excellent DR at lower ISO, and an improved high ISO noise ceiling ( the 7D really maxes out at a usable ISO of 3200, often less).

I can only imagine the sort of camera Canon can produce if it marries its current sensor design with more efficient electronics akin to Sony' low noise sensors. I think that's what so many people here are griping about, given the Sony-developed tech in the D800.

I for one am hoping Canon doesn't just copy Sony, but finds a way to improve efficiency right through to the six-digit ISO range. Speed will take care of itself with the steady advances in processing speeds, as will resolution.

For now I'm happy to continue with my investment in Canon, as they really do make much better, more user friendly cameras, even if they don't have the very latest sensor tech in them this time round.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow