Tablet to Replace PC?

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
N0BOX
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Tablet to Replace PC?
In reply to gs85739az, Mar 15, 2012

gs85739az wrote:

I'd want an add-on keyboard and mousem HDMI, USB's, SD slots for sure...other than that, tablets, one day will have enough power,features as we now enjoy on desktops/laptops, maybe in another 3-4 years max...

Figure storage will be mostly "in the cloud"...

I have an Asus Transformer tablet that has a keyboard dock. It turns the tablet into a very thin netbook, and I can use it for about 16 hours straight on a charge. It has a touchpad, two USB ports, an SD card slot and a microSD slot.

I can view my NEX-5N's RAWs with the RAW Vision app, log in to my servers with SSH in a terminal emulator, and I can control my home PC with Teamviewer. I have a 120GB SSD in a USB3 enclosure that I keep with me in my camera bag to transfer photos from the camera's SD card. I use it for all the mundane stuff that doesn't require a lot of CPU, like checking email, web browsing, and checking Amazon, Craigslist and EBay (using their custom apps rather than a web browser). It will even play some of my videos, and I can watch my Amazon Prime Instant Videos. Even Netflix is available.

I still keep a beast of a PC at home for heavy Photoshop and Illustrator sorts of things and running a virtual Linux PC that I use for some of the very unique stuff available on Ubuntu that isn't there for Windows. I also use my home PC as a central location for all of my music, video, books, and documents that I can reach from anywhere that an internet connection is available. I run my own VPS, which hosts my two domains with web, email, and database servers. I would never give up my PC or my VPS for some "Cloud" where I could put my stuff. I figure that if I don't have control of my own data, then it's that much more likely that someone else will either read it or lose it.

The reason I like having the tablet is that it lets me interface with my "real" computers from just about anywhere without having to lug around a PC or even a heavy laptop.

N0BOX's gear list:N0BOX's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow