opinions on my pictures

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ishu
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
Re: opinions on my pictures
In reply to baneling, Mar 15, 2012

baneling wrote:

Hi all, here some pictures I took recently. Let me know what you think and more importantly, let me know how I could improve them. I'm using a Canon T3i with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens. thanks

First off, I must thank the contributors on this forum. I have learned much from all as I try to show below. I take the feedback seriously (to me and others), but don't treat it as Gospel Truth.

Second, my advice would be to take pictures of whatever you bought your camera to photograph. On the one hand, you've gotten some good advice here. On the other hand, continue to be happy with your "snapshots" if that's what you wanted to take, yet be "unhappy enough" to make the next one better than the last.

Here are some examples of how I've been learning photography while getting progressively better "snapshots" or whatever you'd like to call them.

Example 1: I started sports shooting recently as my daughter began playing soccer. It's a new challenge, as shutter speeds and moving subjects require different techniques. So I'm getting different things wrong. In the shots 2 & 3 (taken first), I was shooting long (105mm) and tracking, so my 1/320 shutter speed wasn't enough. (I may also have moved the camera.) The first (taken last) was lucky, probably because the focal length was much shorter. In all (plus the other 20 I didn't upload) I should have raised ISO to at least 400, and opened the aperture to f/8 for even faster shutter speed.

Example 2: I've posted the last picture before, but to me it's still a great example of what I've learned. I took this photo last summer with my $120 pocket camera. It's great for me because I wanted to capture the lovely sunset behind my daughter. On this and other forums, I'd read that I needed to "meter for the background" so I did that with a test shot and then used my manual exposure mode to set that exposure but also to activate the flash. The others are better use of wide angle that I learned from Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography .

Example 3: I grabbed this shot of my kids while out last year. It's not technically perfect, but I wanted the statue in the back. (The traffic signal at the left bugs me... maybe enough to learn how to post-process it away...)

Whether or not someone calls Examples 2 and 3 "snapshots," they're much better "snapshots" than I would have taken two years ago. I try to get better all the time and bring better technique into everything I shoot. Most of all, I try to have fun with it. That works for me. Find what works for you. Good luck and have fun!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow