[Smoking] Profoto D4

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
csdotam
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Re: [Smoking] Profoto D4
In reply to Peter Berressem, Mar 15, 2012

A few months ago the same thing happened to one of my Pro 7B2s. Just got the quote back today - parts and labor comes in at just over 1k. Just outside of the 2y warranty period though - I think - so I'm probably going to get shafted.

So now I only have one 7B2 left. I'm seriously considering (and please weigh in) on having the D4/7B2 repaired and then selling all three packs and all the heads off and,in their place, picking up a boatload of D1 Airs. The fact that a 7B2 needs a docking station of sorts (an additional 2k) to be able to run the modeling light for an extended period (even when plugged in) has always felt like highway robbery to me. A single 7B2 pack ..not sure what they go for second hand.. I'd imagine, would cover two 1000ws D1 Air heads. I'd have the modeling light available without draining the pack, I'd still have a killer recycle time, I'd be able control the power of the heads from the camera and if/when I was on location and not needing to run if off a battery, I wouldn't have to lug the pack along anyway. And if I did need to use a battery, I could pick up one of those little Vagabond packs (substantially lighter) or perhaps a Profoto Batpac.

The only thing I'd be sacrificing is the Pro 7 ringflash (seldom used.. and only really ever as a hair light, but I'm sure D1 + mola would suffice).

Thoughts?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow