For $800, you could also get... Top 10 list: Locked

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Re: For $800, you could also get ... A life?
In reply to Mk7, Mar 15, 2012

Indeed! There have been very few surprises about this camera since the day it was announced. It turned out to be exactly what Canon claimed it would be and even better image quality than I expected.

I read something today that applies here. "It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove that it doesn't exist." -- Tina Fey.

There are some people who make exactly that argument. Some people also attempt to divert attention from the fact that they are making that argument by using terms like "fanboy" or other epithets to undermine anyone who will present an argument to those railing against the G1 X. I've recommended Sony, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, and Canon products to many friends Buying Sony point and shoots for the office was cost driven and it was also before I realized what Sony had become in the years after my S85. Still, I've told more than one person that a Nikon 1 or Sony NEX may be exactly what they're looking for.

My personal and longstanding desire for something like the Canon G1 X is no secret to any of those same friends. How many times I've said to someone "man, I wish they'd make a point and shoot with a huge sensor and a really sharp lens" or something similar couldn't be counted on both hands and both feet. And now, in and effort to sound self-righteous, I've never gone into another forum and crapped all over someone's preferences nor have I told someone they were wrong for wanting to spend any amount of money on any camera or lens in a completely unsolicited manner. When asked, I give an honest opinion, but I warn people not to ask me unless they want to hear the truth as I see it. I am not in charge of handing out my opinion as though I'm trying to save souls from eternal damnation...I don't do camera mission trips into the forums.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow