Started Mar 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 3,037Gear list
Like?
NEX 7 - Resolution power of 24 Mpx - Sharpening Techniques
Mar 15, 2012

Just wanted to share my praise for NEX 7 sensor.

I am in a situation, that I have to shot a complex scene for one of my clients next week.
Final output is supposed to be printed at 200 Dpi sized to 200cm x 150cm.

This is a challenge for my Canon 5D MII, which I normally use even for the billboards. The quality of the print should be high and the viewing distance can be small. (In-store displaying)

I don't have MF which would be appropriate for such a task, and client doesn't have budget to rent it.

Therefore, I started to consider to use NEX 7, because every little extra resolution could help.

Doing many tests, I found a quite good sharpening technique that reveals a real power of NEX 7 sensor resolution.
This test shot was taken with Leitz Summicron - R 50mm f2 at f5.6.
Developed from RAW in LR4 with standard sharpening and NR settings.

Normally I would stop here, as for the screen and normal sized prints, it already looks sharp enough to me. (Natural)

And this is what I was able to get after my extreme sharpening, still preserving the detail and avoiding noise appearance.

Despite all those doubts of the NEX 7 sensor in combination with some lenses, I am almost sure, that I would not be able to squeeze that much of a detail with any other of my cameras. Probably only Nikon D3X and Sony 850/900 would give even more. (not counting MF of course)

I am eager to see what Nikon D800 will bring on table, but unfortunately it will come late for this project... Still, it might become my first digital Nikon

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D3X Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow