We can now directly compare 5d Mk 3 to D800.... Imaging Resource

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
Compare to D4 too to check lights and DXOmark please
In reply to stephenmelvin, Mar 14, 2012

The D4 just like the 5DmkIII has the light seemingly less powerful at upper right, still one can see the same exposure imbalance versus the 5DmkIII. Exactly the same as with the D800 samples. I can also grab sections of the image where the 5DmkIII seemingly had much stronger lights than both Nikons. A mm difference in the field of view can play tricks with reflections, although the overall lights did not change.

I guess we will have to wait till someone determines it a bit more scientific, but it would not be the first time Canon somewhat overrated the ISO. Compare for instance the DXOmarks of the 5DmkII with the D800 related D7000. The difference is exactly what you see in these samples too for the 5DmkIII vs D800

D.

Look at the reflections of the lights. The upper-right light is not nearly as powerful in the 5D Mk III shots. You can see differences in the shadows as well. Clearly that's a testing issue, and doesn't show anything meaningful about the sensitivity of the cameras in respect to each other.

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D700, D7000, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow