Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bruce Alan Foster
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Gymnastics - Advice
Mar 14, 2012

Hi All

I mainly photograph portrait and lifestyle work for a living, but do quite a lot of other stuff for fun.

Last year I did a summer doing surfing photography for Harlyn Surf School in Cornwal.
That was fun.

I am speaking with a Gymnastics school about taking photos during their lessions, to sell to the parents.

I do some school photography and have a really good workflow for proof cards, online sales and pack delivery.

I dont have any Gymnastics experience, so I popped down to do an experimental photoshoot.

As expected, flash is not an option.

I know for one on one photoshoots, this is ok, but it isnt while there are 100 students using equipment.

I took my D300s and Nikon 24-78 F2.8.

It wasnt fast enough, so I am going to go back for a quick tester using my 85mm Prime 1.8 lens.

That ought to help !!

Now, I was thinking of taking some constant lights, so I could set up on one piece of equipment and get a decent direction to the lighting and do a decent job.

I even debated the odds of using a couple of these ultra-powerfull night lights that mountain bikers use, with a diffuser in front.

I dont think I am trying to creat 'loads' of light, but enough direction to make the photos looks better than they do without any lighting.

I did also wonder about some of these constant lights from ebay (I am in the UK), they often do packages with soft boxes.

Has anyone any advice before I buy something unsuitable ?

Advice on how to approach the work and what lighting to use would be really helpful.

Bruce Foster

Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow