5DMk2 and Mk3 pricing - your thoughts

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
M Mason
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
Re: 5DMk2 and Mk3 pricing - your thoughts
In reply to Doug R, Mar 14, 2012

Doug R wrote:

The MKII is a ok camera that makes great photos.
The MKIII is a great camera that makes great photos.

+1, the best summary I've heard so far.

As for Canon pricing in general, their recent announcement gives us probably the primary driver for the higher than expected pricing:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2082

"Canon Inc aims to cut at least 400 billion yen ($4.84 billion) in costs over four years to soften the likely impact of a strong yen and an economic slowdown in Europe, the Nikkei reported..."

Canon are projecting that the yen will stay strong and may even increase in value over other currencies in the near future. I believe this to be the real root of Canon's recent high pricing (super tele II's, lens, camera, and 600EX-RT flash). Hopefully this is a relative short term (few years) situation and the market forces will bring prices down eventually. Canon's business does depend on volume, so I do see them continuing to make marketing moves to keep the volume up. Look at how long the last set of rebates have been extended.

As much as we don't like the pricing, Canon will be going through painful cost cutting and people will loose their jobs. Tough economy. As much as I would like a 5D3, I'm going to have to wait also. I don't want to, but I need to. But with a 7D at home, I still feel fortunate.

Mark

M Mason's gear list:M Mason's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow