Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
theatrus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,335Gear list
Like?
Advantages of home printing
Mar 14, 2012

I generally have a set of frames in the house where I cycle images through based upon what I find the most interesting. Its a nice micro exhibition. Most of my images have been printed the "Costco way" - that is tweaked to using the Dry Creek Photo profiles of the local printers, uploaded online, and picked up the next day.

Image quality has been good (with some obvious quality problems from time to time which were quickly fixed), but nothing fantastic. The price is very good for what you pay for: a haphazardly cropped photo paper print with an aging Noritsu. I have however always been disappointed with gamut and overall saturation and tonality of the prints (i.e., there were about 4 tries to get a red barn to not be gray-red or blue-red).

Cost differences aside (since I imagine the printer investment + ink + paper is going to be an order of magnitude higher than "the Costco way" per print), what can I expect from a high quality desktop inkjet printer? Is it really leaps and bounds above what I could do from a minilab if I upgraded to a more professional mailorder outfit (at a much higher price)? Its been ages since I've done any desktop picture printing - I swear by lasers for day to day use, but even the color laser is not going to cut it.

theatrus's gear list:theatrus's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow