A better (but stilll cheap?) macro lens than the 40mm

Started Mar 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
midimid
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
The choice...
In reply to midimid, Mar 14, 2012

Thank you ALL for your replies. I spent hours reading up on all of this last night and still went to bed perplexed.

At the least, I know that my decision is between the Tamron 60mm and 90mm. Both have manufacturer rebates right now making them a steal to anything in comparison. The good news too is I bought the 40mm at Best Buy and can hold on to it for 90 days for a full return thanks to my Silver membership - as long as I can keep it from slamming into anything (this has already happened).

With that said, I think my money is going towards the 60mm. I don't think I'll goto FX any time soon - a D7100 will probably be my next upgrade. The 60mm is newer, and while the f/2 doesn't really matter, it'll be nice in situations where dusk is occurring and I don't have time to swap to my 35mm f/1.8. In general, it sounds like the 60mm can "use more light" than the 90mm. One review I read put its corner-to-corner sharpness as quite a bit better than the 90mm, which is also a concern (I love the 40mm's sharpness compared to my 35mm). These are all factors that make me turn to the 60mm.

Last question - I saw someone with a Tamron 2x teleconverter on the 60mm making it 120mm. This seems like something I might actually consider later on. But, I thought that could only be done with f/2.8 lenses?

midimid's gear list:midimid's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow