Anyoen remember how to play MahJong?

Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
That's cool.
In reply to Philly, Mar 14, 2012

I hadn't realised so many people were going to be interested in the game itself. I thought it was a pretty object (or set of objects) so i thought I'd take a nice picture of them. If iI were doing a photo-journalism piece on Mah Jong I might have done it differently. As it is the picture entirely stands or falls on being, or not being, visually arresting,

What I often do, and works for me, is take pictures of small things (like these tiles) and blow them up to 30X40 before hanging them on the wall. That basic process is a technique in itself, and it makes my dining room, which is full of huge shots of small things, rather interesting.

Not only takes the guests' minds off the food, but they often leave £100 poorer clutching a print. Ker-ching!

Philly wrote:

I would argue that the narrow DOF in the image does not reflect the spirit of the game, and is not appropriate. Rather, you need to have all the small tablets in sharp focus, as the game requires a player to know "everything" that's going on--all the cards he has, all the cards he thinks his opponents have, all the cards that have been disposed of, etc.

Showing just a select card or two may be appropriate if you're showing a blackjack pair, but the shallow DOF in this MJ image gives me the impression of a photographic exercise that is dissociated from the subject, if maj jong is considered the "subject" here.

Just some rambling thoughts, for what it's worth.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow