Canon 24-70 on crop body. Overkill?

Started Feb 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ditto65
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Consider future cameras
In reply to Damoo, Mar 14, 2012

I agree that future proofing should be a consideration when shopping for equipment but it needs to be weighted against other requirements also. It sounds like only using EF lenses has served Michael well and I also considered avoiding buying EF-S lenses.

To help decide I went through my 10-22 images and images from a 17-40 that I had the use of for a little while. I checked the FL of the shots that I would normally consider walk around type shots and a large percentage were in the 17 to 30mm range. So to me, being able to shoot these without having to change between the 10-22 and the 24-70 would be a large plus. For a lot of circumstances changing lenses wouldn't be practical or possible. So even though number wise the 24-70 sits nicely after the 10-22 (and up to the 70-200) I think the change over band at 22 to 24 would be inconvenient for me. For me a bit of overlap in this area would be a good thing and so have decided that the 17-55 would most likely be a better purchase.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ditto65/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow