Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Petteri Sulonen
Forum ProPosts: 24,585Gear list
Like?
X-Pro 1 first impressions
Mar 14, 2012

I just got mine, with the 35 and 18, 60 still on back order. Shot a few test frames with it. First impressions:

Build quality is excellent, both on the body and the lenses. The materials used are light (magnesium, aluminum etc), but I completely disagree with the "light and flimsy" comments. Everything feels solid and well put-together. I think you'll only be disappointed if you're expecting the heft of a Leica M, or the brass-and-oil solidity of Leica manual-focus lenses. The lens build quality strikes me as fully on par with midrange to high-end Canons, and noticeably better than the classic EF's I used to shoot with (50/1.8, 35/2.0, 135/2.8SF, 24/2.8).

I love the viewfinder. Crisp, clear, great overlays. I use glasses, and have no problems with the eyepoint; everything is visible. The EVF is better than I thought too, in particular with regards to lag and smearing.

Auto-focus is at least on par with my former camera, the Panny GF1 with 20/1.7, which felt about as fast as my EOS-5D with the oldish lenses I shot with. I'm already certain it won't given me any trouble for the type of shooting I do. If you're the mash-through-to-shoot type rather than the focus-recompose-and-anticipate type, though, you probably would appreciate the near-instantaneous AF on the latest m43's. I tried a Panny G3 at the store, and it was noticeably snappier.

Manual-focus throw is long. This strikes me as odd because it would be totally easy to set in firmware. Perhaps they figured people would only use it for macro and such, in which case precision is more important than speed. OTOH the EVF strikes me as quite good enough to achieve acceptable focus even without magnification or peaking, if using MF lenses. I wasn't going to get an M adapter for my 40/2.0 but I just might after all.

Everything feels fast and responsive: startup, wake-up, menus, etc.

The lenses balance well on the body. The 35/1.4 is a bit on the chunky side, but the 18 is rather svelte. Time will tell which one will turn out to be my main lens. I will probably spring for the 23 mm when it becomes available.

The LCD is excellent. Bit of a fingerprint magnet though.

Cant't say much about the general shootability and usability at this point, since I'm a long way from teaching my fingers where everything is. Nor the image quality. I will have more on this and other topics if there's interest. I'll probably do some semi-controlled test shots to compare with the old ones from my 5D.

I have a very good feeling about this beast.

Petteri
--
http://primejunta.blogspot.com/
http://www.prime-junta.net/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/primejunta/

Petteri Sulonen's gear list:Petteri Sulonen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow